Dark Solstice

Martin, N. (2021). Dark Solstice.

Hey there, name’s Fergie Thompson, I’m just like any other man living in Northern Ireland…that is until my dead dad-in-law’s ghost shows up and says I need to kill a witch to save my ex-wife from being sacrificed to summon some great evil. Just like that, with nothing but a bottle of Buckfast wine and the ability to swing a Hurly stick, I’m pulled into a world of witchcraft, murderous ghosts, and cosmic horrors in a desperate struggle to save our wee tow, maybe even the whole world.

Not too sure what to do about saving the ex-wife though…she probably can take care of herself.

Saying I was merely sceptical with the idea of humour mixing with supernatural horror in writing is an understatement, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out how wrong I was. The bland/dry humour that one would expect to find in Northern Ireland truly came to light in the writing. Thanks to the story being in first-person with the main character being Irish, there is so. Much. Swearing. While this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I love it. From what I got to read there wasn’t a lot of horror, there was certainly a lot of violence.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost in the Headlights

Hardboiled Horror